RU Connection: Getting involved with multicultural clubs

With only about 7.5 percent of Rutgers’ student population categorized as black, it may seem as though the black community on campus is rather small. Despite this percentage, black students make a huge impact on the general culture of Rutgers University. Through the work of collectively over 30 multicultural clubs, greek organizations and social justice groups, black millennials' presence is strong throughout the campus. Whether you are the future Black Student Union (BSU) president or aren’t a frequent club goer, there are many ways to get involved and support black organizations and events on campus.

Underneath the umbrella of the Paul Robeson Cultural Center (PRCC) — an educational center that creates a supportive environment for Rutgers’ racially diverse student body — are over 30 student organizations that work directly with the Center to encourage students to get involved and to get active within diverse communities within the school. Below is a list of a few clubs that are offered and some big events they organize to add to your calendar for the upcoming 2017/2018 school year.

Rutgers’ Black Student Union (BSU) is an organization that opens its doors to not only black students but also students of any minority background. This organization focuses on allowing students of a minority background to have the chance to speak up for their beliefs. These beliefs usually circle around their concerns with society and any current events that may be going on. The students all work together to come up with ideas on how to improve not only their own lives but also the lives of those who share their experiences.

Rutgers is also home to the highly-acclaimed United Black Council (UBC). With a focus on minorities, but an even greater center on black, African and Afro-Caribbean communities, UBC does a wonderful job of uniting those of similar backgrounds for a common cause. UBC’s greatest goal is to serve as the official liaison between itself and the larger Rutgers community. Although this is their main concern, UBC does well with opening the door to a conversation regarding other societal problems at a larger scale. Recently the UBC was commended for its “Shades of Shackles” event where University of Pennsylvania Law Professor Dorothy Roberts spoke on incarceration, black women and reproduction. 

The Douglass Black Student Congress (DBSC) is revered for its reputation as the oldest and largest black women’s organization at Rutgers. Founded in 1968, the organization uses the ideals of friendship and sisterhood to create an environment of unity and learning. DBSC focuses its attention on raising awareness of black issues and also creating consciousness regarding the black community, especially among a college campus. The group separates itself into other committees where they branch out into acts of community service, special events programming and public relations.

For all of the incoming freshman dreaming of becoming a “Big J” journalist,  the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) is an effective way to connect with other black students pursuing similar degrees. With a mission of establishing a strong community for black journalists on campus, the Rutgers chapter of the NABJ allows its members to network with NABJ affiliates and established professionals.

TWESE, translating to "unity" in Kinya-Rwanda, is the Organization for African Students and Friends of Africa. Celebrating African culture, this club encourages students from various African countries and those who want to learn more about the diverse cultures inhabiting the continent to join and participate in discussions. TWESE is a must go. Follow the club on Instagram @RUTwese.

Rutgers is the home of the West Indian Student Organization (WISO), the largest Caribbean student organization in New Jersey. The club focuses on catering to the concerns of Caribbean-American students on campus by building a greater awareness to the many cultures that make up the Caribbean diaspora. To celebrate this diversity, WISO organizes many events during the school year including Caribbean Day, which reimagines the vibrancy of a Caribbean carnival onto the Rutgers campus during the spring semester. Follow the club on Instagram @wiso_ru.

Saige Francis

Syeda Khaula Saad