RU Connection: Going greek — from someone whose been there

In a school with over 50,000 students, it can sometimes be hard to feel like you have a place to call "home" or to find your niche. Rutgers offers various clubs, activities and events that can help you to find your people, but going greek is one of the most effective, and by far the most fun, ways to find the people that will help you call Rutgers home. 

Joining a sorority or fraternity is one of the best ways to find people who truly understand and relate to you. Many people are hesitant that they will wind up in the perfect organization, but wherever you find yourself will be perfect for you, and you will not regret going greek. 

When I was going through recruitment, I remember being indistinctly scared that I was going to end up in the wrong organization. I kept thinking that I was going to say something or do something that made everyone think I belonged in one particular sorority, and then I'd get there and realize it was not the place for me. I expressed this fear, and received one of the best pieces of advice: trust the system. You will be put in the perfect greek organization for you — just be yourself.

First years are eligible to rush a sorority or fraternity in the spring semester of their freshman year. Rushing may sometimes be a little overwhelming, seeing so many different organizations and not knowing where you might fit in: but, like I said previously, trust the system. It will not fail you. 

Enjoy the experience of joining greek life. It really is one of the most unique experiences college has to offer, and it is so worth it. As instantly as you go greek, you find yourself walking down College Avenue being greeted by all new faces, all excited to see you and get to know you. You no longer have to worry about eating alone, because there will always be a brother or sister who will meet you at Brower for lunch, and chances are there will be a brother or sister in your calculus lecture, which will make it much more bearable. 

There is so much going greek has to offer. You will meet your "big," who will guide you through college, but will also always be there when you're pretty sure you just failed your exam and really need tots from Hansel to make it all okay again. You will find some of the best people Rutgers has to offer, connected indefinitely through a powerful bond. You will call people who were strangers two weeks ago brothers and sisters, and while it may be strange at first, you will get used to it and you will love it. 

Going greek is the best way to guarantee you have someone to go to football tailgates with, but also have someone to stay in on a Friday night with and catch up on whatever shows you've missed while sitting in your pajamas and eating way too much pizza. You will find people to study with, and also people who will bring you food in Alexander Library at 2 a.m. during midterms because they love you and need to remind you to eat while you're studying, and also to make sure you get some sleep.

During your time in greek life, you will find some of the most down to earth people, all with similar goals as you, and here you will make connections that last a lifetime. From helping you participate in Rutgers' Dance Marathon, to pushing you to raise money for your organization's philanthropy, to being useful contacts for jobs in the real world one day, greek life never stops giving you opportunities. 

Rutgers will provide you amazing opportunities during your four years here, but one of the best ones is to go greek, and find your home away from home. Don't miss out on what will surely be one of the highlights of your college career.

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.