Princeton rivalry continues

Some rivalries may never die. Under the cover of night, those holding fast to the rivalry may resurrect the will to desecrate - through vandalism and thievery - the historic pillars, statues, edifices and other monuments that represent their foe.

In this case, it is Rutgers University versus Princeton University. And most recently, it is red spray-paint on some Princeton buildings.

"It has been 26 years since Rutgers met Princeton on the Gridiron. It is time we met again, to revive a tradition that has fallen by the wayside," stated an e-mail to The Daily Targum yesterday signed, "The Loyal Men of Lodge 443" - who in the message take responsibility for spray-painting Princeton's Clio Hall, its Revolutionary War cannon and two tiger statues Wednesday.

"Rutgers will not stand if it does not hold fast to the traditions that made it great," the Loyal Men said. "Inciting anger is the easiest way to get the blood boiling at a sufficient temperature to preserve certain traditions."

The Daily Princetonian reported a separate case of vandalism occurred the night prior, with Princeton's Whig Hall tagged with rival graffiti.

In the Wednesday incident, a photo e-mailed to The Daily Targum shows marble stairs spray-painted with a message - "Give us a fuckin' game, faggots," - and a heart, followed by a 443 tag.

In addition, criminal mischief was reported at the Old Queen's Building on the College Avenue campus Monday at 10:17 a.m., University police said. The numbers "443" were spray painted in red on the rear entry door to the building.

The vandals said the reason for a second day of graffiti is because the Princetonian misquoted their original spray-painted message, "We want a game. 1869 Rutgers kicked your asses. -443"

"It was insulting on the part of the [Princetonian] to misattribute the message, and the escalation is partly as a result of their error," the Loyal Men wrote in an e-mail, referring to the second day of graffiti - more aggressive and prominent than the Whig Hall graffiti.

Though the Clio Hall graffiti includes obscenity, the vandals said this isn't the first time such language was used - referring to the rivalry dating back to 1869, the year when Princeton and Rutgers first played each other in football.

"It is not the first time the word 'fuck' or any of its permutations were used during the ongoing hostilities," wrote the Loyal Men. "Anonymous individuals from Princeton who vandalized our statue of William the Silent about five or six years ago started the vulgarity."

The previous reported incident found alleged Princeton students painting an orange penis and the words "Princeton" over the William the Silent statue on Voorhees Mall in April.

Those responsible stated this week's vandalism is to focus on reviving the football matches between Princeton and Rutgers.

-Radhika Marya contributed to this article.

Comments

Rules of Conduct
  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.