U. reveals repeated success

The air was overflowing with pride for recent University accomplishments at yesterday's Board of Governors open meeting with students, staff and administration.

University President Richard L. McCormick opened with a statement about a positive change at the University in the boardroom of Winants Hall on the Old Queens campus.

"I'm happy to report that the transformation of Undergraduate Education is done," he said. "It is of very high priority to ensure that all students get the full benefits of our programs, and it is essentially done, being implemented in record time."

Philip J. Furmanski, the executive vice president for Academic Affairs, spoke on the findings of the Middle States Commission during the reaccredidation process.

"The process of reaccredidation is extremely rigorous, and culminated on a site visit which occurred on March 9 to March 12 to determine whether we meet the standards for accreditation," Furmanski said.

The commission found the school met all requirements, and they had no recommendations for the school.

The only complaint was not about the school, but rather the state, for not providing the University enough funding.

"[The Middle States Commission] is very impressed with the way that the University is able to focus on priorities despite the budgetary challenges that we face," Furmanski said. "They did not feel that the State of New Jersey understood or recognized the value of a public comprehensive research university such as Rutgers."

The board also recognized the achievements of this year's Rutgers women's basketball team and the Gates Cambridge Scholarship recipients.

McCormick said out of the 45 students receiving Gates Cambridge Scholarships in the nation, the University had three, only to be outdone by Harvard.

"At Rutgers, our best are the best of the best," McCormick said.

He shook hands with two of the awarded students who were present.

"You make the University look good," he said to the students.

McCormick also announced one of the country's pre-eminent broadcast journalists, Gwen Ifill, will deliver the keynote speech at the May 21 Universitywide commencement ceremony.

To make the situation sweeter, Ifill will be presented with an honorary Doctor of Letters degree.

Along with Ifill, William F. Baker, president of Thirteen/WNET New York, the Public Broadcasting Service's flagship station, will be honored with a Doctor of Humane Letters degree.

- Marissa Graziadio contributed to this article

Pablo Albilal