Blackout leaves Livingston, Busch students in the dark

4f198a4c8b4d2.image
Photo by Angelica Bonus |

The Busch Campus Center was one of many buildings across the Busch and Livingston campuses yesterday without power.

A lack of power on the Busch and Livingston campuses threw a wrench into students' and professors' daily routines last night, as the blackout resulted in canceled classes and packed buses.

The cause of the blackout, which occurred shortly before 6 p.m. and ended approximately an hour later, is still under investigation, said Greg Trevor, the senior director of Media Relations. Trevor said in response to the power-outage, Public Safety increased their presence on both campuses. No incidences have yet been reported, he said.

But while no incidences of crime were reported, students attending classes and those in their residence halls were disrupted by the blackout.

"I was in my bio class for lecture, and the PowerPoint and all the lights just popped off," said Alex Miller, a School of Engineering sophomore. "Everybody just kind of started talking, and then a police officer came in. I waited for 15 minutes and just left."

Many students reported similar accounts of professors allowing students to leave class early, some citing overcrowded buses and long waiting times as a result. Other students complained of unsaved work being lost after power to their computers went out.

"I was in the computer lab when all of the lights and computers went out," said Anthony Mangia, a Rutgers College junior. "Some people were yelling about whatever work they lost."

Many students cited a lack of information as their biggest complaint.

"I was pretty unsure of what was going on," said Ray Scanlon, a School of Engineering junior. "I was just wondering if the whole campus was out, if classes were canceled, because I had class soon. And I had to see the course load page to see what the reading was for class."

Raquel Sanchez, a Douglass College senior, also said both students and professors were uniformed of what was going on at the time of the blackout.

"Students didn't panic, but people walking by thought it was an emergency or something," she said.

Rachel Gillett