NJ Congressional incumbents win big on election night

Yesterday, New Jersey elected 13 new members of Congress to represent the state in the House of Representatives. Out of 46 candidates, eight Democrats and five Republicans won the vote.

The state of New Jersey is separated into 13 different congressional districts. During an election, registered voters of each district will vote for one member of Congress to represent that district. The night was a strong one for incumbents; no challenger unseated any already serving member of Congress.

In order, based on their consecutive districts, the final results are as follows:

Democratic incumbent Robert Andrews won with 72 percent, beating Republican challenger Dale Glading in the First District.

Republican incumbent Frank LoBiondo was victorious with 59 percent, beating Democrat David Kurkowski in the Second District.

Democrat John Adler was predicted to be the winner of the Third District over Republican Chris Myers, but results were not conclusive as of press time.

Republican incumbent Christopher Smith beat Fourth District challenger Joshua Zeitz 66 percent to 32 percent.

Scott Garrett, the Fifth District's Republican incumbent, beat Dennis Shulman in a highly publicized race 56 percent to 42 percent.

In the local Sixth District, Democratic incumbent Frank Pallone Jr. beat Republican Robert McLeod 67 percent to 32 percent.

Republican Leonard Lance scraped by Democratic challenger Linda Stender in the Seventh District with 51 percent of the vote.

Democratic incumbent Bill Pascrell Jr. beat GOP challenger Roland Straten 71 percent to 29 percent in the state's Eighth District.

Democratic incumbent Steven Rothman was elected with 68 percent of the vote over challenger Vincent Micco in the Ninth District.

Democrat Donald Payne, running unchallenged by the GOP, won the Tenth District with 99 percent of the vote.

Republican incumbent Rodney Frelinghuysen took down Democratic challenger Tom Wyka 62 percent to 37 percent in the Eleventh District.

Democratic incumbent Rush Holt won the Twelfth District over Republican Alan Bateman 62 percent to 36 percent.

Rounding out the field, Democratic incumbent Albio Sires won the Thirteenth District with 75 percent of the vote over Republican Joseph Turula.

These men will serve, like every member of Congress, for two years. They now make up part of the 435 representatives of the 110th Congress, of which the speaker of the House is Nancy Pelosi.

Except for two district representatives, every district reelected its incumbent nominee. District 3's and District 7's former representatives James Saxton (R) and Mike Ferguson (R), respectively, did not seek reelection this year, according to elections.nj.com.

New Brunswick, along with most of Middlesex and Monmouth counties as well as Franklin and Plainfield, are part of District 6, making our representative Frank Pallone Jr.

Pallone has served Congress for nearly two decades and is currently a senior Democrat in Congress, according to njvoterinfo.org. During his time as a congressman, Pallone has sided heavily with environmental conservation and cleanup, being a senior member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee since January 2007, according to his Web site, house.gov/Pallone.

"[He] has successfully worked to stop ocean dumping and offshore oil and gas drilling," according to the site. "He has obtained millions of dollars for shore protection and beach replenishment work along a large stretch of the Jersey coast, for dredging of the area's navigation channels and for the maintenance of his district's National Recreation Area, Sandy Hook."

Besides an environmental concern for New Jersey's historic ecological diversity, the congressman has also rallied for improved healthcare and telecommunications, according to his site.

The next two years look to be years of progressive liberalism for the Garden State, according to the representatives' Web sites. The majority of the members wish to pull out of the war in Iraq and sustain low taxes, support healthcare and environmentalism, enhance transportation and education, defend human and veteran rights, maintain homeland security and improve the economy, according to njvoterinfo.org.

"The Garden State is well known for its tremendous natural resources and wealth of opportunities. As your neighbor in this beautiful part of the state, I … value the tremendous resources and opportunities we all share and enjoy. I am committed to ensuring that these resources remain accessible and the opportunities remain achievable," said Scott Garrett, District 5, according to his Web site.

Sara Gretina