July 16, 2018 | ° F

Knights finish in middle of pack on road

Sitting in 14th place after day one of competition at the First Market Bank Intercollegiate Invitational, the Rutgers men's golf team aimed to move up the standings.

On day two, the Scarlet Knights improved their score by six points, tallying 299 on the afternoon and moved themselves up to 12th place out of the 22-team field with a final stroke total of 604.

The match took place at Kingsmill Resort, a par 71, 6,831-yard course. Liberty won the event and Campbell University followed in a close second as they totaled 574 and 578, respectively.

Junior J.F. Sorbella led the Knights in the tournament, improving to shoot a 73 in the second round after shooting a 76 in the first round, earning him a tie for 28th place.

Sorbella was followed by junior James Arbes, who scored a 152 for the two rounds. The score was good enough to tie him for 46th place.

Junior Jordan Gibbs, who finished first for RU on the first day, said the team was not happy with its performance, but at the same time the Knights were not disappointed either.

"We did improve today, which was important, and we moved up a couple of spots," Gibbs said. "But it was a pretty good field this year in the tournament, so middle of the pack isn't that bad, so all in all it wasn't terrible."

Head coach Maura Waters-Ballard was pleased with her team's performance at such an early point in the season.

"Overall I'm happy with the performance," Ballard said. "It's still very early in the year for us. It's only our second week of actually playing golf…on a golf course, so I think a few of the guys did pretty well under the circumstances."

With a short week of practice before the Towson Lacrosse Homes Invitational Saturday in Towson, Md., Ballard is confidant that her team's scores will improve.

"I definitely think our scores will be better than they were this weekend," she said. "I think we'll have a couple rounds under 300 and that would definitely be my goal, to be in the 290s for two days."

The Knights are set to play on a familiar course, which was not the case this past weekend and was part of the reason that RU finished in the middle of the pack.

"That's a course we played last spring and all of us are pretty familiar with that course, so that's going to help us in knowing where to hit the ball, where not to miss," Gibbs said.

As for the few days they have to get ready, Ballard looks to get the rest of the rust off.

"[We're] still working on timing, rhythm and feel around the green," she said. "Another week of practice will get us better with our short game. This coming week we should be in pretty good shape."

Matt Sugam