Looking at issues surrounding stem cell research

This letter is in response to the numerous articles covering the controversy surrounding the issue of stem cell research.

As someone who has been pro-life all my life, I believe life begins at the point of conception and that those conceived under the laws of the United States are protected by the Constitution and therefore are entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Now has come the day where science has made it possible to freeze an embryo outside the body of a human female. The embryo's natural development into a fully functioning human being is blocked by being frozen until it is eventually transferred back to a woman for her to have a baby. The natural progression begins again and results in the birth of a child no different than any other human being.

The controversy surrounding stem cell research concerns the idea of using "left over" embryos as a means of repairing or replacing damaged tissues or organs of those who suffer daily. It has been said there is no greater sacrifice than to lay down one's life for the life of another. As much as I am pro-life, I am also pro-quality of life and see this as an opportunity for one life that may be discarded as "left over" to improve another's life and hence allow that healed person to not only continue living but live their lives to also help life to continue. I know that if I was to be discarded as "left over" rather than given the chance to help my fellow human being, then all would have been in vain. Many of us are called to perform extraordinary feats as we experience this existence called the human race. I can think of no greater feat than to go from being a "left over" to someone who was able to lighten the burden of another person and perhaps extend their life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Joe Bialek is a resident of Cleveland, Ohio.

Joe Bialek