Carl keeps golf all in

As a child, Lizzy Carl was expected to play golf. In a family in which her brothers and father were golfers, golf was a necessity.

And when choosing a college, Carl expected to play golf right away.

"My dad and brothers played all the time, and I just kind of tagged along," Carl said.

The freshman is no longer just following her brothers and father; she is blazing her own path in the family sport.

During the fall season, Carl competed in all six of the team's tournaments. She finished with an 81.08 stroke average, the second best on the team. She continued her success in the spring, finishing first on the team at the Cincinnati Invitational and second at the Georgetown Invitational.

Despite her continued success, Carl is still not satisfied.

"I didn't transition to college golf as well as I wanted to. I've had a really hard time getting my game back from the Winter Break. I've been very disappointed in my scores," Carl said. "The fall was supposed to be my base year to test the waters, and I had hoped that my spring season would be better. It looks like my whole freshman year will need to be my base year."

As her freshman season comes to a close, Carl is looking to improve her mental approach to the game for next year.

"Mentally trying to keep focus is important," Carl said. "Our coach really helps us stay focused and improve, but it is definitely something I need to work on."

The mental struggle is particularly difficult during the spring season. Most of the competition comes against southern schools that are in a climate that allows for practice during Winter Break. "Southern schools can play all year round, so it is difficult to keep up. After break it's hard to get back in the game," Carl said. "I had a great first round at the Cincinnati Invitational, and I couldn't keep the momentum into the next rounds."

Through all the adversity that goes with being a freshman athlete, Carl has been able to rely on her teammates.

"Golf is a pretty individual so we try to keep each other calm," Carl said. "We all rely on each other."

Team captain Jeanne Waters, one of the two experienced athletes on the team, has been an integral part of the team's maturation.

"Jeanne has been awesome leading us and helping us improve," Carl said.

Carl is looking forward to improving with the rest of the young, talented team.

"We have so much room to grow and get better. I'm really happy with where the team is going," Carl said. "Over the next few years, this team is going to be very good."

Josh Glatt