Daily Targum wins sweepstakes award from NJ press

The Daily Targum won the 2009 Sweepstakes Trophy for four-year colleges on Saturday from the New Jersey Press Association for earning the most quality points in individual awards categories. Overall, the Targum took home 10 individual awards.

Nineteen schools from across the state submitted nearly 400 entries, which were judged by professionals in the state's journalism industry. The Targum earned 12 points for four first place finishes, two points for one second place finish and five points for five third places finishes. The 19 combined points bested the second highest four-year college point getter, Princeton, by six points. The Targum also received two honorable mentions.

As the editor-in-chief of the Targum my warmest congratulations go out to the winners: Dan Bracaglia, first place sports photography, third place general photography; Kaitlyn Calabro, second place feature writing; yours truly, first place deadline reporting; Catlin Mahon, third place feature writing, third place deadline reporting; Brendan McInerney, first place general photography; John Pena, third place sports photography; Matthew Stein, first place sports writing, honorable mention column writing; Steven Williamson, honorable mention feature writing; and Tom Wright-Persanti, third place arts and entertainment writing.

In addition to the recent accolades for the editorial staff, Targum online editors Amos Joshua Sanchez and John Gilday highlighted the recent improvements to the Targum's Web site in a panel discussion. In the past several weeks the Web site has featured news videos, sports analysis videos, a Targum on your phone feature and a Google map showing crime locations around campus.

The Targum benefits greatly from the diversity and strength of Rutgers and its support for student journalism on campus. My thanks go out to University President Richard L. McCormick, Vice President of Student Affairs Gregory S. Blimling and the community for your continued support.

As our community makes difficult choices in the months ahead, I encourage all of you to utilize the Targum's resources to give feedback and express your opinions about the things affecting your lives. With your help the Targum will continue to improve.

John S. Clyde is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in political science and the editor-in-chief of The Daily Targum.

John S. Clyde