Fraternity donates playground equipment to Lincoln School

4f198d1b2d193.image
Photo by Scott Irwin |

Delta Phi fraternity members donated about $1,000 in playground equipment to the Lincoln Elementary School on Bartlett Street, including basketball hoops, kickballs and footballs.

Students at the Lincoln Elementary School on Bartlett Street received a surprise at recess yesterday afternoon when the brothers of the University fraternity Delta Phi brought new playground equipment for their use.

The fraternity raised about $1,000 by selling magazines for their philanthropy, and they purchased basketball hoops, kickballs, Whiffle ball equipment and footballs to donate to the school, said Athletic Chair of Delta Phi Joe Turrise.

"We didn't really connect with a lot of the other philanthropy events that other fraternities do where you don't really see the benefits of [the cause they choose]," said fraternity brother Kyle Kadash, a University junior. "We wanted to do something where we could see the results of your work everyday, and something that the entire town and community got to see."

After the fraternity presented the equipment, the children wasted no time playing with their new basketball hoops and kickballs.

Vice Principal of the Lincoln School Steve Suznovich was thankful for their donation.

"It's great, we really appreciate the fraternity donating the basketball equipment for our children for the playground, [it is a] kind deed," Suznovich said.

Turrise, a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore, said he came up with the idea for the toys since he works as a Big Buddy at the school and heard the children complain they were bored and did not have enough activities to do at recess. He brought this issue up at one of the fraternity meetings, and they agreed to the idea.

"We felt that this would be a great place to donate to considering the lack of equipment for their recess," Turrise said.

The Delta Phi brothers worked hard to construct the two basketball hoops the night before and were happy with the end result, he said. 

"We had a lot of brother support; hopefully everything goes well and we can make this a yearly thing," Turrise said.

Delta Phi House Manager Scott Irwin said this is the first time the fraternity did a philanthropy event of this kind.

The school has partnered with the University before through student teachers and America Reads tutors, as well as the Big Buddy program, which has been running for about 10 years, Suznovich said.

Turrise said as a Big Buddy he spends a few hours with students at the Lincoln School each week.

"We give them something to look forward to … they get to hang out with an older kid, someone to look up to," he said.

Heather Brookhart