Little bit of sugar, little bit of spike

4f198dbc2d885.image
Photo by Maya Nachi |

Students raise more than $2,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Sunday during a volleyball tournament on Busch campus. The competition had 12 teams, and the winner received $200.

The scorching 92-degree weather set the tone for 200 people and the charity beach volleyball tournament Sunday at the Werblin Recreation Center's outdoor volleyball courts on Busch campus.

The event, sponsored by the Delta Epsilon Psi "DEPsi" South Asian Interest Fraternity, was held in order to promote awareness for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and to raise money in hopes of getting one step closer to finding a cure for diabetes.

The day consisted of food, music, volleyball and intense competition.

"It was a fun and entertaining way to do community service. It was nice to see everyone mesh together in a competitive environment," said Prathyusha Kurra, supporter of the Alpha Kappa Psi team and a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore.

After a series of double elimination rounds, the competition went from 12 teams down to two. The winning team managed to beat out their competitors and walked away with a prize of $200 and a trophy.

"I'm so glad this event went well. We were able to have fun and we managed to raise an immense amount of money for JDRF," said Prit Patel, one of the organizers of the event and a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore.

From various sponsors in the local community and the team registration fee, the event raised $2,500 to donate on behalf of the DEPsi toward the foundation.

"We were thrilled in helping them coordinate an event to raise money for this philanthropy," said Manasa Reddy, president of DEPsi and Rutgers College senior. "Little did we know the magnitude of the event, and we hope that this event becomes annual."

Various teams and organizations participated in the event, including the Rutgers Asian A Cappella Group, the Association of Indians at Rutgers, Alpha Kappa Psi, Alpha Kappa Delta Phi, Iota Nu Delta, Sigma Beta Rho, Sigma Sigma Rho and various intramural volleyball teams.

Maya Nachi