Livingston campus construction worth wait

I would like to applaud the planning and construction that is taking place on Livingston campus. Despite its awful appearance and inconvenient walk to and from classes in its current condition, the future is bright and offers many shades of green! With the installment of 7,000 solar panels, carbon dioxide emission will be reduced by nearly 1,000 tons. In addition, 10 percent of the University's energy will come from these solar panels. Bio-retention and filtration systems will be used to go even greener. Storm water from the numerous parking lots and roads will be filtered and used to water gardens as opposed to sitting in storm drains.

Speaking of these parking lots, Livingston is notorious for having many unappealing and rarely used parking lots lying around. Let's rewind: why is all this construction taking place on Livingston campus in the first place? Well first of all, it's free! The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities is providing a $4.9 million grant to fund this project. Secondly, the campus is not very attractive to current students, let alone incoming first-year students. When the final project is done, I am confident that students will flock to the modern dining hall and spend long days at the student center. However, there is one minor problem. Making Livingston campus more appealing to students is only half the battle, getting students to actually want to live there is another story. Do the students want to live in dorms that look like prison cells?

It is clear that Rutgers accepts more students into the University than its capacity to house students. Why not put a parking lot into use and build a green dorm? Take those unfortunate students out of the hotels and lounges in first-year residence halls and put them in a comfortable, efficient and sustainable place to lay their heads. The cost of building green dorms is similar to the cost of building a conventional dorm. In the long run, the University will save green by going green. The real solution to making Livingston campus appealing to students is building green dorms that will speak for themselves.

Nicole Hallissey is a Cook College junior majoring in nutritional sciences.

Nicole Hallissey