U. can make effort to stop world hunger

In essence, hunger is the most extreme form of poverty, where individuals or families cannot afford to meet their most basic need for food. Every day almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes — one child every five seconds. Poor nutrition and calorie deficiencies cause nearly one in three people to die prematurely or have disabilities, according to the World Health Organization. According to Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations survey, in 2006 about 9.7 million children died before they reached their fifth birthday. Almost all of these deaths occurred in developing countries, four-fifths of them in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, the two regions that also suffer from the highest rates of hunger and malnutrition. Most of these deaths are attributed not to outright starvation but to diseases that move in on vulnerable children whose bodies have been weakened by hunger.

The United States is part of the high-income group of nations. So, if we can make a little effort by donating food to those people then may we can save lives. We can make a University-wide effort to make a difference in the lives of those who are suffering from hunger and fight against this battle of hunger. If we talk about dining hall services, there is always an average number of students who don't use all of the meals in plans they have taken. As of the dining hall policy, they are allowed to use only two of their meals for donation. So, we don't really know where the rest of money for those meals goes. As a part of effort against hunger we can request to dining hall service to increase those number of donating meals. We can also set up an organization where they can donate those meal swipes. Another way: If it were to become mandatory for dining services to donate a specific amount of food to poor people without significantly decreasing their profit, the millions of individuals that are at risk to dying from hunger could be decreased.

Daya Patel is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in molecular biology and biochemistry.

Daya Patel