Use open textbooks

Congress passed the Higher Education Opportunity Act in August 2008, benefiting college students and faculty in New Jersey and the nation. It obligates scholastic publishers to reveal textbook prices, and it requires them to not include unnecessary packaging and make notice of the proper textbooks for certain courses. Textbookfacts.org asserts that the average cost undergraduates pay is $650 annually — still too high, especially in these economic times of struggling for jobs that may afford people a good higher education.          

The advantage of implementing open textbooks is the "rights reserved" copyright policy guaranteeing accessibility for online use and possible printing. Prestigious colleges, especially Rutgers — a state university that rejected the "Ivy League" title many times previously — also implement open textbooks and all other colleges should do likewise. 

Professors and faculty are urged to consider open textbooks and credit to those starting to or have already been doing so. Be the testament that influences implementing open textbooks.

Addie Adebayo is an intern for New Jersey Public Interest Research Groups Student Chapters at the University and media coordinator for affordable textbooks.

Addie Adebayo