Getting involved helps build key job skills in today's difficult economy

On behalf of The Daily Targum, welcome back! This is an exciting time for all of us, and that showed yesterday at the Involvement Fair. The level of enthusiasm at the fair from organization leaders and interested students was outstanding. Student groups have been working hard throughout the summer to plan events and create opportunities for students to get involved and develop skills outside of the classroom. It is through these experiences that students will develop the skills needed to compete in today's job market. No matter what your interests are I encourage you to get involved and explore the many opportunities that Rutgers has to offer.The Targum is committed to providing students with as much information about these opportunities as possible and will publish an issue dedicated to student involvement on Sept. 14. We are inviting all student organizations to send us one paragraph about their organization and how to get involved. In addition to those published in the print edition all submissions will be posted on dailytargum.com.Organizations are always looking for new members and for students to step up into leadership positions. When I transferred to Rutgers in January 2008, I walked into the editorial office, located just off of College Avenue at 26 Mine St. in New Brunswick, and left with my first story assignment. Over the next few weeks, editors worked with me to improve my writing and I quickly advanced. About a year after transferring I was elected to the top position on the editorial staff. Getting involved with the Targum is simple and a lot of fun. Any student can write for us at any time during the semester. Just drop by the office between 6 and 9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday to start getting involved. In November, the Targum will begin training staff members for editor positions, and staff members will elect a new editorial board in February. The skills that Targum teaches are highly marketable and extremely beneficial when interviewing for any job. Students can learn how to write news, sports, entertainment and opinions articles, take professional quality photographs, design graphics, copy edit, edit videos or manage a Web site. This semester the Targum launched a completely redesigned website, which has many new features to help serve the Rutgers community. Student organizations will be able to post events directly to a calendar on dailytargum.com and some of these events will be posted in the print edition of the Targum each week. We're also strengthening our commitment to improving multimedia aspects of the Web site, adding blogs, live streaming events, games and database information. In addition, readers will now be able to purchase reprints of photos and pages from our Web site at photos.dailytargum.com. Non-NCAA sports photos can also be reprinted on T-shirts, mugs, playing cards and mouse pads.The Targum is among the most prestigious newspapers in the country and is looking to continue its success this year. Last semester the Targum won numerous local and national awards for excellence in student journalism. These awards included placing first in the Associated Collegiate Press National College Newspaper Convention Best of Show award category for four-year daily newspapers. The newspaper won this award for its coverage of the 2008 presidential election in which staff writers and photographers covered the election onsite in Chicago, Ill. and Phoenix, Ariz. In order for us to continue to improve we need you help. Please send us your story ideas and suggestions. We've added comment forms to dailytargum.com to make it easier for you to reach us. But you can always e-mail me at eic@dailytargum.com. 

John S. Clyde is the Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Targum and a School of Arts and Sciences senior. 

John S. Clyde