June 22, 2018 | ° F

Freshman Weddell paces RU

While the majority of the student body enjoyed a full weekend of college and professional football, the Rutgers women's golf team was busy competing in the Bison Classic at Bucknell University.

The Scarlet Knights finished seventh in a 12-team field.

William & Mary won the competition with a team score of 893, finishing 36 strokes ahead of its nearest competition and 74 strokes ahead of RU.

Despite finishing in the bottom half of the field, head coach Maura Ballard is not disappointed by the team's performance.

"The first tournament of the year is always tough and the weather was very difficult to deal with," Ballard said. "It was a pretty good field and the course was wet, which further complicated things."

Highly touted freshman Brittany Weddell achieved an impressive performance, leading the Knights in scoring. Her collective score of 239 placed her 17th overall in a 63-person field.

"I'm very excited about her," Ballard said. "I knew she would make an impact right away and I'm really happy that my instincts on her are proving to be correct."

Sophomore Kristina Lee also turned in significant results. Following an up and down freshman year, Lee was able to start the season off positively. Her score of 243 was good enough for a near top-25 finish. Ballard believes that the consistency issues that plagued Lee throughout her freshman year are a thing of the past.

"I think she is very prepared now and the experience she has gained will definitely help her," Ballard said.

Last season, junior captain Jeanne Waters grew accustomed to leading the Knights in scoring. Yet last weekend she finished third on the team with a 245. Her tournament average of 81.6 was slightly higher than her 2009 spring season average of 78.8.

But Ballard is not worried about her team captain's performance.

"Jeanne will be fine. It was the first tournament of the year, which is always a little harder than the others," Ballard said.

Junior Daley Owens and sophomore Elisa Mateer rounded out the scoring for RU.

Both performed better than their spring scoring averages. Following a 79 in her first round, Owens' performance weakened as the tournament went on.

But Ballard does not believe that Owens' focus or training was lacking.

"I think it was just a coincidence. She was definitely prepared," Ballard said.

The team will have a quick turnaround when they travel to Greenville, S.C. on Sept. 18 for the Furman Paladin Invitational.

Josh Glatt