'Girl talk' or meaningful discourse

While in elementary school, the board game "Girl Talk" became popular among my friends and me. The game, more or less a version of the ever-popular truth or dare, revolved around the collection of cards from categories marked "marriage," "career," "children and "special moments," and included blazingly red "zit" stickers that were to be placed on your face if you decided that performing a stunt or confessing an intimate secret was not for you. Sound silly? Well, it is. The concept of the phrase "Girl Talk" also conjures up an image of the type of gossiping that takes place in venues such as the powder room or late night slumber parties. The phrase does not, however, seem to be an accurate portrayal of the meaningful discourse that took place between both male and female students on Sept. 28 at the "Girls Like Us" event sponsored by the Douglass Governing Council with the help of numerous and diverse cosponsors.

By "Girl Talk," I am referring to the caption in the Sept. 29 issue of The Daily Targum that stood above a picture of Council President Jennifer Kanyamibwa speaking at the event. As aforementioned in my brief and basic attempt at conceptualization, the phrase does not exactly hold political or social clout, but rather serves to trivialize what was in fact a serious discussion that included the topics of sexual health, teenage pregnancy, class divisions, racism, sexism, access to education and individual autonomy. As an attendee of the event and a council member, it is troubling to see that our objectives in showing the film and holding a subsequent discussion have been somewhat skewed by this publication. A discourse surrounding the intersection of race, class and sex is not merely "Girl Talk"; it is not gossip. It is instead a mechanism for shaping consciousness that came in the form of a gender mutual dialogue, one that instilled hope and the potential for future change; it is "women empowered."  

Kyrie Graziosi, on behalf of the Douglass Governing Council, is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore. She is the University senator for the council.

Kyrie Graziosi