March 21, 2018 | ° F

Weddell staying out of sand traps in freshman season

In a stark contrast to last year's recruiting class that featured seven athletes, the Rutgers women's golf team only welcomed one freshman to the Banks this season.

Brittany Weddell has already begun the season proving she can make up for the lack of quantity and be a valuable asset to the team.

Coming into Rutgers, Weddell was expected to make an immediate impact. She lived up the hype at the Bucknell Invitational, her first collegiate tournament. She paced the Scarlet Knights with an overall score of a 239 and a team-best 76 in the second round.

"I was a little nervous at Bucknell, but it went really well," Weddell said. "I'm glad I adjusted to the college tournament scene well."

Weddell continued to impress when she turned in a 164 at the Paladin Invitational.

"I just went out there and gave it my best," Weddell said. "There are a lot of girls playing, but you just need to focus on your own game."

Her quick adjustment to the college level is not a surprise to head coach Maura Ballard.

"She had played a pretty high level of competition throughout high school," Ballard said. "The most important thing is her maturity level. She really is mature beyond her years."

The maturity and competitiveness Weddell displays began at an early age and continued throughout her high school career. Those attributes are now on full display at RU.

"My dad introduced me to the game when I was five, and I started playing in tournaments when I was seven," Weddell said. "In high school, I played for the boy's golf team, which was a little more competitive, but it really improved my game.

Her mature attitude has carried over off the course too, easing her transition to college life.

"I'm getting used to it," Weddell said. "The academics are a little bit tough, but it's going really well. I am really enjoying my classes."

Weddell's work ethic remained constant even on road trips.

"I've seen her with her books studying all the time on the road," Ballard said. "Our team [grade point average] has always been high, and she will do nothing to hurt that."

Weddell credits her teammates, particularly captain Jeanne Waters, for helping her feel welcome and serving as a support system.

"All the girls are so nice. They made me feel like part of the team immediately," Weddell said. "Jeanne has been great. I can talk to her about anything. She is always there if we need anything."

Josh Glatt