At-risk groups first to receive H1N1 vaccine

Members of the New Brunswick Campus community should know Rutgers Health Services and Rutgers Occupational Health in New Brunswick continue to offer the swine flu nasal spray vaccine. We have not yet received the injectable vaccine.

The next clinic will be held tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Cook Campus Center. Supplies are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis to people in the following at-risk groups: faculty, staff and students under the age of 24; health care and EMS personnel; children between the ages of 2 and 17 living in University housing or attending day care on campus; and parents and caretakers of infants under age 6 months.

Please note that the nasal spray vaccine should not be taken by pregnant women, those older than 49 or younger than 2, those with serious medical conditions such as asthma or a weakened immune system, who must wait for the injectable vaccine.

Persons with a history of severe, life threatening allergic reactions to eggs should not receive either H1N1 vaccine, injection or spray. Instead, they should contact their physician to discuss other options for preventing the flu.

The vaccine is offered on a voluntary basis and is free of charge. Please bring your RUID. More information about the H1N1 vaccine is available at http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/. If you have any questions or concerns, you may wish to consult your private physician, who can also administer the vaccine.

Influenza activity continues to increase across the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control, vaccination is the single best way to protect against influenza illness. The University's goal is to vaccinate all interested faculty, staff and students in the priority groups. You can find more about H1N1 and University-specific information at http://h1n1.rutgers.edu.

Melodee Lasky, M.D., is the executive director of Rutgers-New Brunswick Health Services. Kathleen Gaioni, M.D., is the director of Occupational Health.

Melodee Lasky