Partying to oblivion

You lead a sad, exceedingly pathetic existence when you directly correlate fun with partying to the extent that your epistemic abilities fail to conjure up anything else that could be rendered as a good time. In truth, this mind-frame plagues many young adults in college, as the setting cultivates and encourages the "party scene." While it by no means has consumed the whole population of college students, a hearty percentage unequivocally rank partying as the only activity worthy of a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night. What better way to spend your weekend nights then drowning in intoxication, perhaps consequently acting wild, loose and uninhibited? Perhaps most discouraging, the college campus has been littered with the stinking corpse of creativity. When 20-year-olds can fathom nothing more interesting to do with their time than exhaust the pastime that they have been exhausting for years, innovative spirit is suffocated. The quest to ignite the motivation to get through the next week of work, when extinguished at the nearest fraternity house, is left to rot under the floorboards. For some, this scene becomes so all-consuming that people who fulfill their fun quota for the week by other means become not only unrelatable, but boring. Has our college society become so degenerate, so uncreative in thought that participating in anything other than parties is instantaneously deemed as soporific? Enjoying the company of friends in settings that are void of blaring music and incorrigible groping may seem mundane, but frankly, it is often these times that prove to be the rudiment of substantial relationships and unforgettable events that concatenate a smorgasbord of memories. Equally as otiose in nature is the drunken state in which many partiers stoop to while out on their weekend excursions of fun and excitement — a true symbol of moral decay. Most obviously, if you are not 21 years of age yet, you are blatantly breaking the law. Because many people have flouted this law does not make it any less illegal, contrary to common behavior and thought patterns. But, shying away from the legalistic standpoint, the objective to go out and get "hammered" falls pathetically short of a noble, respectable one. However, being noble and respectable no longer seems pertinent, so many instantly disregard this argument, labeling it as prude and miserably lacking and adventurous spirit. I challenge that notion: Is it not far more adventurous to seek alternatives to the drunken stupor that encapsulates college students than to simply accept being the stereotype? When did falling in the gray area of the status quo become the ideal for college kids to strive for? However true the above arguments may be, kids won't cease their hard-partying habits because alcohol enhances their ability to be funny, daring and jocund. Without ethanol running through their veins, many may find that their insecurities still run rampant, stunting their social capabilities. Guys ensure that girls consume enough alcohol to diminish their standards, enhancing the guys' chance to use their oh-so-clever, alcohol-laced smooth talk to obliterate any walls that were not already diminished by the girls' altered state of mind. Frankly, many partiers are not ashamed to admit that they drink alcohol so that they can participate in things they are normally too bashful or self-aware to do. How wretched a society that cannot derive the ability to have a good — even crazy time — without suppressants deranging their mindset! How shameless are the people who bluntly admit that their own personalities simply don't suffice in the context of a jam-packed basement! Somehow, exchanging drunken mistakes from the night before, reiterating just how smashed you became on the impressive amount and assortment of alcohol you housed, and piecing together a night with glaring holes in it with your fellow drunks has become a popular pastime on the college campus. Something a considerable portion of partygoers will not forthrightly admit is the abject spirit that is so tangible in their life, for one reason or another, that they party as means of escaping these feelings of inadequacy. While many college kids simply party for reasons mentioned above, there is no denying that a sizeable amount go out to sink into a crowd of strangers, numbing their dejection, stress or hardship with the sense of oblivion that bombinates through the sea of heads. The obvious predicament that surfaces in this case is that alcohol is not a miracle substance: Remarkably, it cannot erase the truths of reality, although it can temporarily abate its intensity. It is crucial for college kids to realize that partying is not necessary to deal with pain, alter their personalities or partake in a good time. An insatiable feeling of emptiness — although perhaps not yet acknowledged — will surely eat our society alive, feeding off the carcass of innovation, imagination and contrivance that has been slaughtered by mainstream partying.

Jenna Greenfield is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore. Her column "Triumphs and Woes" runs on alternative Wednesdays.

Jenna Greenfield