Duka agrees to MLS contract

Former Rutgers men's soccer midfielder Dilly Duka signed a Generation Adidas contract with Major League Soccer today.

Duka is eligible for the 2010 MLS SuperDraft.

"My family and I are really excited right now," Duka said in a statement. "It's an honor to now be known as a professional player and have a signed contract [with the MLS]. It's a pretty exciting time and I feel good right now."

Duka left that Scarlet Knights after two years to join the United States Under-20 National Team this summer. The Americans qualified for the U-20 World Cup in Egypt, but did not advance out of the group stages finishing 1-2.

Duka, a Montville, N.J., native, helped key the United States' 3-0 victory over Cameroon with a goal and an assist.

"The past year has been a pretty great year for me," Duka said. "First in January, getting picked to the [U.S.] national team then going to qualifiers in March and doing well. Then to training with the team over the summer and playing in the World Cup in September, everything happened so fast.

"Now signing a professional contract and having to wait two more months [for the draft] to actually be on a professional team, I can't wait."

The MLS SuperDraft is held in Philadelphia in January during the National Soccer Coaches Association of America Convention from the 13-17. The expansion Philadelphia Union have the first pick. The league just completed its 2009 season with Real Salt Lake defeating the LA Galaxy 5-4 on penalties after the teams played out a 1-1 draw in front of a crowd of 46,011 at Seattle's Qwest Field.

Duka finished his sophomore year at Rutgers with a team-high eight goals.

"We're absolutely delighted for Dilly that he signed a contract with MLS," said Rutgers head coach Bob Reasso. "He was an outstanding player for us and did a great job representing our country [with the U-20 U.S. National Team] and I'm sure he will be very successful in the MLS as well."

Kyle Franko