Oliver sidelined with injury

4f198d5b1efbe.image
Photo by Bryan Angeles |

Freshman forward Monique Oliver (44) is helped off of the court after injuring her leg in the 10-point victory over the Princeton Tigers.

PRINCETON — With less than three minutes to go in the first half, freshman forward Monique Oliver went down with a leg injury.

The Las Vegas native did not play for the remainder of the first half, and walked out to the bench for about a minute of the second half before returning to the locker room.

"No [we don't know the full extent of the injury], we'll find out tomorrow," said head coach C. Vivian Stringer. "We'll see."

Oliver was second on the team in points with 8.8 per game before the game at Princeton, and was tied for second in rebounds with five per game. Her 60.5 shooting percentage this season puts her at tenth in the Big East.

The game against the Tigers was a far cry from the 83-35 beating that the Rutgers women's basketball team gave them the last time the two crossed paths.

Sloppy play was a reoccurring them in both halves — the Scarlet Knights pulled out a 10-point victory that was anything but impressive.

Bad passes contributed to an unusually high 21 turnovers.

"We get it out of our hands, and it's like fifth grade stuff," Stringer said about the team's passing. "But good fifth graders don't make that [mistake]."

And you could see the mistakes outside of just turnovers.

In the first half, a two-handed pass from sophomore guard Nikki Speed was thrown overhand, over the opposing team's bleachers and out of bounds.

Foul trouble was another problem for the Knights. RU gave up five fouls in the first five minutes of the first half, and Princeton found itself in the bonus with 11:21 to go in the second half.

"This group doesn't want to admit it, but you can see every team in America drives on us and drags our behind to the court," Stringer said. "And it continues to happen — and then we foul."

And with 30 shooting percentage throughout the game, the foul shots were the only thing keeping Princeton in the game.

"To be quick and wild without making a lot of sense is foolish," Stringer said. "You need to apply it properly and have control of your bodies. To recognize time situations, we need to be smart, that's no excuse for being dumb or playing dumb."

Sophomore Chelsey Lee continued her team-leading performance in rebounds against Princeton, grabbing seven in 25 minutes of play. The forward has at least five rebounds in every outing this season, and leads the team with 63 total.

Christine Huber got the first start of her collegiate career Saturday night. The freshman forward notched two rebounds, a block and a steal.

Bill Domke