Former RU coaches return to Schiano's staff

Under head football coach Greg Schiano, 21 assistant coaches left the program, but two just came back.

Phil Galiano and Randy Melvin returned to the Rutgers football team to round out the coaching staff, which lost three members since the end of the 2009 season.

Galiano replaces Joe Susan — now head coach at Bucknell — as tight ends coach, while Melvin returns to his old position as defensive line coach, which Gary Emanuel vacated to become co-defensive coordinator at Purdue.

"I think they're two excellent teachers and great role models for our kids," Schiano said. "Their families, their wives are great, great people and are very familiar with us, with Rutgers and with me. I think it's two really good additions that really fit into what our goals are right now."

Melvin has 28 years of coaching experience, including three with the Scarlet Knights from 2002 to 2004.

His time with RU is sandwiched between two stints in the NFL, where he won a Super Bowl ring with the New England Patriots before spending four years with the Cleveland Browns.

Since both coaches left, Galiano and Melvin both stayed in touch with Schiano. When Emanuel's departure seemed imminent, Schiano reached out to Melvin, who returned to the campus to take a look around.

"The facility changes — they're awesome," Melvin said. "I thought the place was really pretty good when I first came through, but now what they've done to the place — it's big-time. I'm really excited about being here."

While a number of defensive line coaching stints dominate Melvin's résumé, Galiano's hire as tight ends coach raises some eyebrows.

Galiano spent the last three years as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Florida International and coached linebackers and defensive ends at RU.

But before he joined the Knights in 2004, he spent a year as tight ends coach at Football Championship Subdivision school Villanova.

"He's coached offense, but a coach is a coach," Schiano said. "If you know how to teach, you can teach subject matter, no matter what it is. I really like the defensive background that Phil has and what that brings to the offensive staff, seeing how that other lens helps us a little bit."

Melvin and Galiano join wide receivers coach P.J. Fleck as new additions to the staff, all at the head of positions where there is young talent to be developed.

Galiano has six tight ends at his disposal, including one junior, three sophomores and two freshmen. Melvin inherits freshman All-American Scott Vallone on the defensive line along with a number of highly-touted redshirt freshmen.

"I just started watching tape today," Melvin said. "Hopefully through today and tomorrow, I'll look at all the tape and get to know what these guys are all about."

The hires replace each of the departed position coaches but do not resolve the vacant position of recruiting coordinator, previously held by Susan.

"Right now, none of the coaches are going to be named recruiting coordinator," Schiano said. "We're moving along just fine. We have a recruiting office … and between the assistant coaches that have been here, myself and the recruiting office, we feel we've gotten a great jump on this year's class."

Steven Miller