Knights seek to rebound after sweep by Orange

Members of the Rutgers tennis team were not pleased with the start of their spring season. Truth be told, they were downright disappointed.

Big East rival Syracuse swept the Scarlet Knights (0-1, 0-1) aside on the road Sunday with a final score of 7-0.

The team has a chance to regain its confidence today when it hosts Farleigh Dickinson. It will be the first of seven home matches and presents the Knights with the opportunity to put Sunday's tough defeat behind them.

Senior captain Katherine Arlak expects her squad to play with passion.

'We're still upset about Sunday's loss. This team hasn't lost a match that badly in the Big East in a while,' she said. 'But everyone is really excited for Thursday's match. It's a chance for us to pick up that first win.'

The Farleigh Dickinson Knights come to Piscataway fresh off a sweep of their own. They traveled to Lehigh and picked up a 7-0 victory to kick off their spring.

When the teams meet at the Rutgers Tennis Complex this afternoon it will be important to see which team grabs momentum first. Should FDU's version of the Knights get off to a fast start it could make RU hang its head on the heels of the Syracuse loss.

Amy Zhang - the Knights' No. 1 singles player - said the match can't come soon enough as RU is eager to vanquish the taste of defeat still lingering from Sunday.

'We are extremely anxious for the upcoming match. We need to show that we've learned from the mistakes we made at Syracuse,' the junior said. 'This is our chance to do that.'

Nineteen matches remain on the Knights' schedule this semester. The season is undoubtedly young, but it's imperative that the team regroups quickly, Arlak said.

'We really want to win, especially with this being our first home match of the year,' Arlak said. 'With a win we can definitely get things back on track.'

The fact that Big East opponent Georgetown comes into town in a few days for a Sunday morning match makes it imperative that RU heads into its second conference matchup with momentum on its side.

'We want to prove that we are not a team to count out at all this spring,' Zhang said. 'This team has a lot of talent and can win a lot of matches.'

Tyler Donohue