July 18, 2018 | ° F

Knights place ninth at Hoyas Invite

The Rutgers Women's Golf team hit the links on Monday and Friday in Beallsville, Md., for the Georgetown Hoya Invitational.

Of the 17 teams in competition, Rutgers placed ninth with a 650, faring with a 321 total on Monday and a 329 on Tuesday, respectively. Junior Jeanne Waters improved tremendously from her 240-card (81,78,81) from the UC Spring Invitational. The West Sayville, N.Y., native tied for fourth in the 90-player field, shooting a 153 (74-79) for the Scarlet Knights on four birdies and 24 pars through 36 holes.

Freshman Brittany Weddell, from Buzzards Bay, Mass., continued her solid play from the UC Invitational — where she led the Knights with a 233, placing 25th out of the 100-player field. Weddell played well on the par 72-course this time around, carding a 164 (83-81) to finish tied for 34th.

Sophomore Lizzy Carl, a Mendota Heights, Minn., native, scored a 165 (83-82) to finish tied for 39th and fellow sophomore Kristina Lee (Haddonfield, N.J.) posted a 171 (81-90) to place 59th. Sophomore Elisa Mateer (Marmora, N.J.) rounded out the scorecard with a 174 (86-87).

Nova Southeastern captured first at the par-72 Members Club at Four Streams with a 612. Maryland was four shots off the lead to finish in a close second place. Upcoming Big East adversaries Georgetown (647) and St. Johns (670) placed sixth and 11th, respectively.

Head coach Maura Waters-Ballard's team looks to rebound after back-to-back ninth place finishes when the Knights travel to Connecticut on April 12 for the Hartford Invitational.

— Jason Brogna

Jason Brogna