Reckless politics end health freedom

The Democrats cheered Sunday night as they rammed unconstitutional and unpopular health insurance reform down the throats of the American people, and in the words of Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., "Freedom died a little bit." As I sat in front of the television watching the chilling results on C-SPAN, I sat wondering to myself how the United States had come to this day. For years, it has been understood that the health insurance system in the United States is flawed, not because the government has done too little, but because the government has done too much.

Restrictions on interstate insurance access, the expansion of Medicaid and Medicare and a failure to have true tort reform has stymied real health insurance reform. I use the word insurance, because as opposed to popular belief and regardless of the words used by our elected officials, this new bill has nothing to do with the care of patients in America. This ravaging of the constitution does not enhance care; it solely enhances insurance companies and mandates insurance plans on all Americans. Can anyone explain the skewed logic of the Democrats? According to the donkeys in Washington D.C., insurance companies are big and evil, they "hurt" the average American, therefore all Americans must buy insurance plans from these nefarious corporations? That is like telling a little kid who is constantly beaten up by a bully, that once he starts paying the bully, the bully will stop beating him up.

Sorry Democrats, that is not how major corporations work. Now, all Americans will be forced to buy insurance that they may not want. And if they do not? Well then they are forced to pay fines to the federal government — sounds like legal blackmail to me. Worst of all, insurance premiums are going to skyrocket because of this bill — for those of you who buy insurance on your own, your premiums will be between 10 and 13 percent higher than they would typically be. The government on the other hand says not to worry though, because they are going to give you a subsidy to cover the new charges. But those of us who understand how the government "gives" us subsidies, understand that the subsidy we will be given comes straight from the pockets of the American people.

Additionally, companies that employ 50 or more people under this bill will be forced to pay a $2,000 fine for every worker they do not offer insurance. An option that many business may choose to take as opposed to paying the average price for single coverage premiums of almost $3,000 and more than $6,000 for family coverage. Under this bill, the freedom to choose our own doctors will be removed as well, if you buy your health care through the government exchange, which most Americans will eventually do, you will be assigned a doctor. That doctor will decide if you can have an X-ray, see a specialist or take precautionary action to thwart a future illness.

After piling up all the waste in this bill, from the decline in freedom to the steep rise in taxation and of course fewer private sector jobs. I do not blame solely the Democrats for their tyranny of the majority or indifference to the voices of the American people, although the majority of the blame is most certainly theirs. Some of the fault must be pitted on Congressman John Boehner, R-Ohio, and the TARP loving, No Child Left Behind promoting, earmark spending Republicans during the President George W. Bush years. While it is left-wing legislation that enacted the bill, it was liberal Republicans that got us to the tipping point. Boehner's address to U.S. Congress moments before the bill was passed was inspiring, it highlighted the fallacies and skewed logic of the President Barack Obama administration and congressional Democrats, but it was too little too late.

America is fuming, yet some left-wingers are celebrating, with little knowledge as to why. These are the men and women who sell the American people lies. Lies that health care is a right, that the Republicans have no solutions and that a government hijacking of the health-insurance industry will result in more freedom. Only Democrats have the audacity to claim that a trillion dollar spending bill will lower the deficit. Only Democrats have the audacity to tell the American people that an executive order will cut-off public funding for abortion. What is a greater grab of individual freedom, then government bureaucrats determining how important your life is when pitted against others with a similar illness?

The next time you see a Democrat think of them as a parent, an extremely irresponsible parent that spends all the family money meant for food, heat and electricity on electronics, booze and clothing. Instead of leaving you an inheritance, these parents leave you with the mortgage.

My great grandparents left Eastern Europe for a reason, and I can assure you it was not so that the government can control my life in the United States. Cubans trying to escape the Cuban President Raul (and former Fidel) Castro regime risk their lives to come to the United States, not the other way around. Mexico is not building a fence to keep Americans out of their country are they? I believe in American exceptionalism, I believe that we are the brightest light in the world, a shining city on a hill. If we do not preserve the basic foundation of our nation — life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness — we are bound to crumble.

President Ronald Reagan once said, "It's very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project," but we must keep in mind that it is still just another government run program. Based on government programs of the past, this program will most likely run deficits and eventually dip further into the pockets of the American people. However, with the midterm elections less than eight months away, the tide will turn — the Democrats will lose the majority in the house, possibly the U.S. Senate and Obamacare will hopefully never see the light of day.

Aaron Marcus is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in political science and history.  His column "Marcus my words" runs alternate Thursdays.

Aaron Marcus