Council reviews semester progress

With a slam of the gavel, the Pharmacy Governing Council's semester of serving, funding and allocating drew to a close.

Council President Bo Wang said this semester, the council established its Student Health Care Alliance Providing Education and Support initiative program, implemented a higher printing limit for pharmacy students and banished the bake-sale ban on Busch campus.

"I'm very proud of what we were able to accomplish," said Wang, a graduate student in the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy. "We were able to really bring recognition to the pharmacy school and do more for students."

The SHAPES initiative, which started this semester, was a series of mini health fairs at Elijah's Promise Soup Kitchen in New Brunswick where students dished out health advice and supplies to local residents, he said. All three sessions drew in 100 to 250 people per session.

"It's really one of the first times in our country that rising health care professionals from different fields are coming together and putting their knowledge and expertise together to help our local community," Wang said.

Wang said the council spent the previous semester coordinating the event and received a lot of recognition for their work.

Aside from the initiative, the council also established a new website, a new constitution, gained longer library hours and helped with the Swine flu effort, Wang said.

"We also had an involvement fair at the beginning of the year which promoted many pharmacy organizations to students," Council External Vice President Neha Mangini said.

During the meeting, the council unanimously passed a resolution allowing the council to allocate funds for membership expenses, including flyers and airfare when a member of an organization intends to attend a convention.

Allocations pertaining to membership and conventions will be subject to the same guidelines as any other funding and the discretion of the treasurer and allocations committee, according to the resolution.

Wang said funds for airfare allow students to reach national conventions and meetings.

"Without it, a lot of people can't go," he said. "They don't have the means, and this really allows us to invest in bringing Rutgers pharmacy to the national stage."

Treasurer Diana Do said the council's allocations are generated through Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy student fees.

Internal Vice President and President-elect Andrew Zullo said the council plans to increase policy related to pharmacy next year and is already gearing up for a big program at the beginning of the semester as well as a month of pharmacy advocacy.

At the end of the meeting, Wang passed the gavel to Zullo, who administered the final wallop of the semester.

Greg Flynn