October 22, 2018 | ° F

Slight improvement shows squad's growth

Coming off a first place finish at the Hartford Invitational just a week ago, the Rutgers women's golf team looked to carry that momentum into the Big East Championship in Palm Harbor, Fl. The three-day tournament saw the Scarlet Knights take sixth place with a combined 970 for the three days.

"I think we did fairly well, I was very pleased overall," said head coach Maura Waters-Ballard. "We finished seventh last year so sixth this year was a move up for us so we're happy about that."

The Knights shot 333 on Sunday, 312 on Monday and 325 on Tuesday. They were in fifth place after two days of play but dropped a spot by the end of the tournament.

"We've been working really hard on our short game as well as our mental game, as far as staying focused and staying in the moment," Waters-Ballard said of the team. "I think each member of the team did a very good job with both of those."

Mental discipline proved to be extremely important after the first round took nearly 12 hours to complete because of a three-hour weather delay. Waters-Ballard said it was difficult to focus after that but the team did a good job overall given the circumstances.

Freshman Brittany Weddell and sophomore Kristina Lee finished among the top 20 golfers in the 35-player field. Weddell shot a 240 (79-78-83) and Lee finished with a 241 (80-78-83), good for 17th and 18th place, respectively.

The other competing members of the team included sophomore Lizzy Carl, junior Jeanne Waters and junior Daley Owens. Carl carded a total score of 243, good enough for 21st place. Waters placed 25th with a 246 and Owens finished 34th with a 270.

Louisville took first place in front of the other six competing teams with a 920. Rutgers finished behind St. John's' 955, while holding off Georgetown, who finished in seventh place with a score of 976.

"Now they realize they are just as good and can beat some of the other teams too," said Waters-Ballard, "so I think they're looking at an even better finish next year."

Nicholas Orlando