Young team takes first at Harvard

When the Rutgers women's golf team teed it up Monday on the par 72-course at the Hartford Women's Invitational, it was its fourth tournament of the year. The two-day tournament held in West Hartford, Conn., saw the Scarlet Knights take first place with a combined score of 618. The team shot a 310 the first day and a 308 on the second day.

The two-day tally was 17 strokes better than second place St. John's, who finished with a combined 635.

The Knights placed four golfers in the top 10 of the 65-player field. Freshman Brittany Weddell took first place overall with day-best rounds of 74 on Monday and 76 Tuesday, giving her a final total of 150.

Weddell's tally was three strokes better than junior teammate Jeanne Waters' 153, good for a second-place finish.

Weddell led the tournament after the first day by three strokes after posting a plus two 74 round.

The overall victory was Weddell's first for Rutgers after she finished tied for 34th in the Knights' previous tournament, the Hoya Women's Invitational.

Weddell, a New England native, got to play in front of her parents for the first time as a collegiate athlete.

"I'm very excited for [Weddell]," said head coach Maura Waters-Ballard. "It's the first of many to come, she is a very talented young lady."

The Knights lead the tournament after the first day with a score of 310 and topped the field again the next day with a 308.

"We have definite goals set, and I'm proud of all of them," Waters-Ballard said. "Their hard work is paying off."

Teammates Jeanne Waters, Lizzy Carl, Kristina Lee and Daley Owens followed Weddell on Rutgers' scorecard.

The victory was an impressive one for the Knights, especially considering there is not a senior on the roster.

The squad now prepares for the Big East Championships this weekend in Palm Harbor, Fla.

Nicholas Orlando