Watch out for indoctrination

Welcome back to the University. To the freshmen and transfers who have decided to call the Banks of the old Raritan home, you made the right move. Now, for those of you who do not know me, my name is Aaron Marcus. I am a registered Republican who identifies as a conservative-libertarian. I do not vote based on party and I do not come to conclusions based on hunches. The fact that Democrats have failed at delivering the change millions of Americans hoped for does not surprise me. As a nation the American people overwhelmingly support a limited government careful at spending the money of taxpayers and who swear to preserve and protect the constitution. And I bet you thought college was supposed to be a beacon of progressive liberalism? Think again.

It actually bewilders me as to why students at the University are so keen on believing every word their professor, a campus organization or guest lecturer proclaims. Isn't New Jersey the state where someone who tells you how to live your life is better received with a middle finger and an angry, "Who do you think you are?" If students and adults from NJ accept this mentality for their personal lives, why is it that when we enter a classroom, club or political rally their word translates into biblical law.

Take note from Gov. Chris Christie. His Jersey attitude of "You punch them, and I'll punch you," is the reason why many across the country are calling him the greatest governor in America. He wants more people from NJ to hold onto more of their hard earned money and reduce the role that government plays in each NJ life. Imagine that, a politician from NJ who believes that people have a right to life, liberty and property.

I am not asking you to believe every word I say (although it might be wise to do so), this of course is an opinion page and all at the University should utilize their First Amendment right to express their views and opinions as well. I welcome your criticisms and cherish the conflict. All I ask in return is a knowledge and historically based argument to back up your claims.

If you are a full-time University student it means you are taking between 12 and 20 credits this semester, which leaves plenty of time to read and learn on your own. One of the most overlooked aspects of what your college education is all about is the ability to learn what you want to learn. Do not just sit in a class and nod your head when a professor proclaims that Woodrow Wilson and FDR are two of the best U.S. presidents. Challenge them with questions about Woodrow Wilson's federal propaganda ministry and FDR's internment of the Japanese along with his blatant disregard for the Constitution.

If Keynesian economics work, then why is the US ridden with overwhelming debt and primed for a double dip recession, a bond-bubble burst and stagnant job growth. Ask your economics, political science or philosophy professors why they have not taught Ludwig Von Mises, F.A Hayek, Frédéric Bastiat and Rutgers Alumnus Milton Friedman and commend them if they do.

In no way do I recommend disregarding everything your professors say, but keep an open mind when hearing or reading any outrageous comment. Think for yourself. Gather your own beliefs from reliable and legitimate sources and remember that you are here to become educated not indoctrinated.

Most importantly, remember that in 61 days Rutgers students have the opportunity to send Congress and the White House a message that our liberties and property are no longer for sale. Without economic freedom, social freedom cannot exist and vice versa. The Democrats have spent the last 20 months dismantling America's basic rights to life, liberty and property and it is time we tell our leaders the generational theft must end.

The U.S. currently possesses more than $13 trillion in national debt translating into a bill of $43,000 per citizen. We have more than $110 trillion in unfunded liabilities, which slaps a price tag of $350,000 for each citizen to payout over the course of their lifetime. Every 27 seconds, another million dollars is tacked onto U.S. unfunded liabilities. If the government continues spending at the rate of both the Bush and Obama administrations we will literally kiss our republic goodbye.

It is ironic that the left constantly portrayed Sen. John McCain (R–Ariz.) as a potential third Bush term. Meanwhile, what exactly has President Barack Obama done different from the Bush administration? The man vacationed while the Gulf Coast gasped for air from a federally regulated disaster, sent more troops to Afghanistan under the leadership of Gen. David Petraeus, and is on track to spend more than every president in the history of the U.S. The only difference between Obama and former President George W. Bush is Obama will oversee the largest tax increase in the history of the U.S. according to Americans for Tax Reform.

The time has come to take America back. Regardless of which party you traditionally support, the Democrats are out of touch with average Americans. If you are looking for the scariest website on the Internet look no further than www.usdebtclock.org. At US Debt Clock you can see the actual number of unemployed Americans, total US Debt, personal debt and the trade deficits owed to China and the rest of the world. Our country can no longer sustain itself. The least we can do is elect politicians willing to cut spending, cut taxes and return individual responsibility to the people.

Aaron Marcus is a School of Arts and Science junior. His column "Marcus My Words" runs on alternate Tuesdays.

Aaron Marcus