October 22, 2018 | ° F

Despite inexperience, sophomores vital for RU

The Rutgers women's golf team has only two sophomores this year and they are the team's youngest players.

Karen Cash and Brittany Weddell are two up-and-coming golfers who have extremely bright futures ahead of them.

Their freshman years showed just what they are capable of and what can continue in the future. Cash, an Allendale, N.J., native, transferred from East Stroudsburg University at the beginning of the semester, while Weddell enjoyed a fruitful freshman campaign for the Scarlet Knights.

Cash won the first flight of the 2009 New Jersey State Women's Amateur Championship last season. She posted a 79.7 stroke average for 2009 while competing in 11 rounds for East Stroudsburg.

"She had a successful freshmen year [at ESU] last year," said head coach Maura Waters-Ballard. "She wanted to play Division I golf and I must say she has done a great job for us so far. She is very focused and working hard on her game."

Weddell also competed last season as a freshman and posted a 79.5 stroke average to lead the Knights. She also won the Hartford Invitational with a score of 150 to top the 64-player field.

"Brittany Weddell had an extensive and successful junior career playing out of Sandwich Hollows Golf Club in Buzzards Bay, Mass.," Waters-Ballard said. "Because of that, she has very good mental game. She is very mature on the course and never allows herself to get too high or too low. She is level-headed."

Cash and Weddell also have great influence on their teammates. Their hard work and will to become better shows they are at Rutgers to stay and perform at a high level for a long time.

With each having a full year under her belt, it is hard to believe their success cannot continue.

"Brittany and Karen are both very dedicated to improving their games," said senior captain Jeanne Waters. "Brittany has been a very important part of our program over the past year and a half, having played in every event for us since her freshman year. The program is in great shape for the coming years."

It is important for the Knights to have the young talent to complement their veteran leadership on this year's squad.

Cash and Weddell plan to improve this season upon their already strong starts.

Thus far at the Bucknell and Princeton Invitationals, Weddell finished 36th and 40th, respectively. Cash has also played well, finishing 37th and 52nd, respectively.

Nicholas Orlando