June 24, 2018 | ° F

Senior forces playoff, leads RU to third place

The Rutgers women's golf team took third place this past weekend at the Bucknell Invitational in Lewisburg, Pa. — its first tournament of the season.

The Scarlet Knights shot a combined 929 (306-310-313) in the three rounds, putting them only seven shots behind second place William and Mary (922) and 26 shots behind first place Bucknell (903).

The tournament tested the Knights not only physically, but mentally, as well.

Along with dealing with some inclement weather, the 18-team, 93-player field had to play 36 holes on the first day.

"I am very excited to see the girls shooting such low numbers," said head coach Maura Waters-Ballard. "The first day we played 36 holes. That is 10 hours on the golf course and for these girls to keep their focus and shoot great scores like that is awesome."

Senior captain Jeanne Waters lead the Knights, who tied for first place after 36 holes.

"I am so happy with [Waters'] play and her positive leadership with this team," Waters-Ballard said.

Waters shot 71, 78, and 72, respectively, in her three rounds, finishing with seven birdies and 33 pars.

Waters' numbers put her at 221 for the tournament, good enough for a playoff to decide first place outright. She lost the playoff in four holes to Bucknell's Katie Jurenovich and ultimately finished second.

"We have very talented girls, all of whom are capable of shooting low scores on any given day," Waters said. "I'm very excited for us to build on this momentum as the season progresses."

The rest of the Knights who played in the tournament were junior Elizabeth Carl, sophomores Brittany Weddell and Karen Cash and senior Daley Owens, who finished 14th, 36th, 37th and 52nd respectively.

"Placing third and shooting the scores we did in our first event of the year tells me we are going to have a great year," Waters-Ballard said. "I'm excited to keep working with our players and continue on this road of success."

Rutgers tries to build on its strong start, in which it tied for the lead with 22 birdies for the tournament, as it prepares for this weekend's Princeton Invitational, held a short trip south on Route 1. 

Nicholas Orlando