Veteran squad ready for talent-rich field

The Rutgers women's golf team is trying to build on its good play from last week and carry it into the Princeton Invitational this weekend.

The Scarlet Knights make the short trip down Route 1 to try and improve on their third place finish from a week ago at the Bucknell Invitational.

The Knights finished third overall in the 18-team field, and also saw their senior captain Jeanne Waters finish second overall.

It is important for Rutgers' veteran leadership to stay consistent this season and improve each and every time out on the course. According to head coach Maura Waters-Ballard, the Bucknell Invitational was a great start.

"I am happy with our finish at Bucknell," Waters-Ballard said. "We played three good rounds of golf. I would like to take that consistency into the tournament at Princeton."

But the Knights battled more than just the playing field last weekend at Bucknell, facing a slew of bad weather in the process. In terms of the level of competition, however, the Princeton Invitational presents similar obstacles.

"The field at Princeton is going to be a little stronger than the field was at Bucknell," said Waters-Ballard.

The strong finish at the Bucknell Invitational required a total team effort, as Waters led the way and the Knights finished with 22 birdies to lead the field.

"I think we'll need our fourth and fifth players to step up for us this weekend," Waters-Ballard said. "If we can have everyone break 80 we will be in great shape."

Waters-Ballard's squad travels to Springdale Golf Club in Princeton, N.J. The course, made in 1915 is a par 72 with a length of 5,546 yards from the gold tees.

Nicholas Orlando