Donigan nabs high-profile recruit in Montville's Correa

If his first splash in the recruiting world is any indication, Rutgers men's head soccer coach Dan Donigan has brought premier soccer back to the Banks.

The Scarlet Knights received news today that blue-chip prospect Juan Pablo Correa verbally committed to come to the Banks, according to The Trentonian.

A senior at Montville High School, Correa already has 12 goals and six assists through seven games this season. Correa amassed 24 goals and 13 assists during his junior year en route to being named Morris County Player of the Year by The Star Ledger.

Although he cannot comment on specific recruits, Donigan expressed his pleasure about how his recruiting efforts have gone thus far.

"The only thing I can say is that obviously we are excited about where we are from a recruiting standpoint," Donigan said. "We never stop recruiting, and we never will stop recruiting. We're obviously excited about the kids that are coming and that have committed to us."

Correa chose the Knights over schools like North Carolina, Boston University and Clemson. He had also initially committed to Villanova, but de-committed last winter after Rutgers hired Donigan.

Donigan took over the Knights' program on Jan. 22 after spending the previous nine seasons with the Saint Louis program. Donigan reached the NCAA Tournament seven times with the Billikens, reaching the quarterfinals twice.

A Hamilton, N.J., native himself, Donigan made a concerted effort to corral the best talent from the state of New Jersey and has done so by landing an instant difference maker in Correa.

A.J. Jankowski