Knights honor LeGrand before kickoff with Louisville

4f1990e5a19af.image
Photo by Scott Tsai |

The Rutgers women's soccer team donned shirts with Eric LeGrand's No. 52 in warmups, one of many ways they honored LeGrand.

The Rutgers women's soccer team sported No. 52 Eric LeGrand shirts prior to its matchup yesterday against Louisville.

The Scarlet Knights held up five fingers on their right hands and two on their left hands to signify LeGrand's number during the national anthem against Cincinnati and the Cardinals.

The team put up a poster of LeGrand in the team's locker room yesterday prior to its 3-0 blanking of the Cardinals, said head coach Glenn Crooks.

"[LeGrand is] one of us," Crooks said. "That's why you have to appreciate everything you have, every moment you have. It's one of those things athletically that has ups and downs. Everyone is praying for [LeGrand's] recovery."

Posters in support of LeGrand hang outside Yurcak Field in Piscataway, where the Knights went 2-0 this weekend.

"First and foremost, the thing on our minds is … Eric LeGrand," Crooks said. We're just going to focus on that for now. The girls are very concerned. It was hard on all of them because a lot of them know him quite well."

The Knights also donned pink uniforms, shoelaces and gloves Friday night in support of the "I'm a Breast Cancer Fighter" theme set up by team alumnus Shannon Evans.

The event aimed at raising community awareness about breast health and breast cancer prevention.

Tyler Barto