Scarlet Knights release 2010-11 gymnastics schedule

4f198f493394f.image

Sophomore Jenna Zito competes in the all-around for the Scarlet Knights, averaging a score of 37.743 and topping 38 five times with a season-high 38.475.

The Rutgers gymnastics team announced its 2011 season schedule yesterday, revealing an opening meet Jan. 8 against New Hampshire in Durham, N.H.

The Scarlet Knights return with 11 gymnasts that competed last season, with the most decorated being senior Erica Gerlach, who tied for third place last April on the bars at the USAG Collegiate National Championships.

The contest marks the 10th straight season that the squad opens against the Wildcats. The Knights narrowly fell to New Hampshire last season by a 189.725-188.925 margin.

Head coach Crystal Chollet-Norton and company host their first meet of the season when the Knights welcome Pennsylvania, Brown, and last year's EAGL Champion, North Carolina, on Jan. 22 in the Livingston Recreation Center.

In the team's second home meet on Feb. 4, Rutgers welcomes Brown to the Banks for the second time, while also playing host to Bridgeport. The Knights then enjoy consecutive matchups at home, with a Feb. 26 tri-meet between Bridgeport and Ursinus marking the first competition of the homestand.

The team competes in its final home contest on March 5, when it welcomes Cornell, Southern Connecticut, West Chester and Yale.

The upcoming season's EAGL Championships kicks off on March 19 in Washington, D.C., making the team's trip to Towson to compete in a tri-meet with Yale a week prior the last live action before postseason competition commences.

Anthony Hernandez