Knights drop decision to ranked BC

The Rutgers women's basketball team failed to make it two in a row against a ranked opponent yesterday, when the Scarlet Knights fell, 84-75, to No. 25 Boston College. Rutgers (6-4, 1-0) played from behind the entire day and struggled from the get-go to carry over its strong defensive performance from a win against No. 11 Georgetown.

Despite a career effort from junior April Sykes, the Knights could not duplicate similar offensive production either.

Head coach C. Vivian Stringer's team faced an eight-point deficit with a minute remaining in regulation, but after a missed 3-pointer by Sykes, the Eagles iced the game with a pair of free throws at the 47-second mark.

The Eagles (10-0) got out to an early 10-0 lead on the Knights in the game's first two minutes, while Stringer's offense struggled to retain possession, turning the ball over four times. BC's lead ballooned to 18 with three minutes to go in the first half, as the Knights never led in the contest.

BC had four players score in double figures, as 6-foot-6 center Carolyn Swords paced the team with 20 points.

After posting her first career double-double in a win against the Hoyas on Thursday, sophomore Monique Oliver hit a rough patch down low, scoring just four points off 2-for-6 shooting. Fellow post player, junior Chelsey Lee, also struggled from the field and finished the contest with four points.

Of the Knights' 75 points, 55 came from the scoring efforts of Sykes and junior guard Khadijah Rushdan –– the team's leading scorers though 10 games this season. Sykes' 32 points shattered her previous career high of 20 points, as the Starkville, Miss., native continued her double-figure scoring stretch to eight out of the past nine games.

Rushdan tallied her best offensive effort of the season, scoring 23 points off 7-of-17 shooting.

Stringer's team takes the floor again Wednesday against intrastate foe Kean at the Louis Brown Athletic Center, where the Knights are 4-0 so far this season.

Anthony Hernandez