Pair of captains plan for successful seasons

4f1991f4ce830.image
Photo by Patti Banks |

The Rutgers men's and women's golf teams are preparing themselves for another challenging spring season in the Big East.

As always, senior leadership is one of the most important aspects of the teams' successes, and this year is no exception with men's captain Chris Frame and three-time women's captain Jeanne Waters leading each of their squads.

Frame competed in 18 collegiate events with a pair of top-25 finishes last fall. This season Frame hopes to end his golf career with the Scarlet Knights on a high note and win the Big East Tournament.

"The Big East is what all of our hard work comes down to," Frame said. "Winning that will leave a pretty good lasting impression for next year."

Photo: Patti Banks

Senior captains Chris Frame, top, and Jeanne Waters headline the Rutgers men's and women's golf teams for the 2011 campaign, which features a new men's head coach.

Surrounded by a very young team consisting of four freshmen, Frame still remains greatly optimistic that his squad will do nothing but succeed once the season begins.

"The experience is lacking," Frame said. "But the talent is clearly there."

With the addition of first-year head men's coach Chris Mazzuchetti, Frame is extremely excited about what the accomplished NJPGA competitor brings to the table.

"[Mazzuchetti's] personality and attitude is like none other," Frame said. "It's going to be good for the team."

While Frame and Mazzuchetti are new leaders for the Knights, the leadership role is nothing new to Waters.

"I just hope to keep leading by example," Waters said.

Through her first three seasons, Waters did so not only on the golf course, but also in the classroom. Waters is a three-time Big East Conference All-Academic selection, as well as an All-American Scholar Athlete.

Much like Frame, Waters hopes to leave a lasting impression on the Rutgers women's golf program once the season is over. She also expects great things from her squad.

"Everyone knows that if they go out there and play their best, we'll compile all the scores up at the end of the day and have a great chance at winning," Waters said.

Both Frame and Waters are doing their best to show what senior leadership is all about and how they plan on contributing to their team's success.

With the optimism that both of the captains display, it is shaping up to be a very exciting and promising season for both the men's and women's teams.

T.J. Nagy