Students must act responsibly in class

Admit it: As a University student, you have done more than your fair share of covert texting in class, regardless of how harsh the professor's rules were regarding cell phone use. Of course, you're not alone in this. According to a study done at the University of New Hampshire, 65 percent of the 1,043 students surveyed admitted to texting during class. Perhaps more interesting is that 40 percent of the students questioned believed that texting should be allowed in class, with 37 percent saying it should not. Are most college students mature enough to handle being allowed to text in class? Well, they should be.

College students are, arguably, adults. They should be able to conduct themselves properly in any situation — especially the classroom, since it is the focal point of their lives. So, if given the freedom to text in class, students would have to use that freedom responsibly. They would have to make sure they were still paying attention to the lesson and not disturbing the class when texting.

Unfortunately, it is hard for anyone — student or otherwise — to always police themselves when given such freedoms. This is why there needs to be a social contract between students and professors. Rather than punishing students for texting in class, professors should strike agreements with their students. That way, students would be free to take on the sort of responsibilities they should have as adults and, at the same time, professors could help make sure these students actually act like adults.

As it stands, most professors have some sort of policy in place, which discourages cell phone use in class through punishment. This should not have to be the case, as college students should be able to handle the responsibility without explicit instructions. Maybe some will dismiss this as mere wishful thinking, but we still feel that students should be mature enough to respect their professors and their classrooms without the threat of punishment.