Obama fails to live up to peace prize

People have been at President Barack Obama's throat since he made the decision to intervene in the Libyan revolution. The most recent attack comes from Bolivian President Evo Morales, who called for stripping Obama of the Nobel Peace Prize. Morales asked, "Is he defending peace in the world now, or isn't he instead fomenting violence?" That is a salient question at this point, and it needs to be addressed. We don't believe the Nobel committee should revoke Obama's prize. Doing so would merely be petty because Obama has not done anything that can be considered directly opposed to promoting world peace. But we do believe that, if Obama wishes to prove to people he ever truly deserved the prize, he's going to have to step it up.

We're not the only people who feel disillusioned at this point with Obama's tenure as commander in chief. When he came into office, he promised a better future for all of us. Yet, he does not seem to have made too much progress in that direction. He talks openly and often about his commitment to peace and bipartisanship, but it seems he never does more than just talk about it. When he introduced his health care reform bill, it seemed that he finally turned his rhetoric into action. Unfortunately for Obama — and for our nation — his reform bill has been languishing in the legislature ever since, with opponents doing all they can to tear it to shreds.

Which brings us to the United States' present entanglement in Libya. In a strange way, one could argue that Obama's decision to intervene was an attempt to promote peace. He is, after all, trying to defend the rebels from Col. Muammar Gaddafi. Even if we grant Obama these good intentions, Libya merely stands as another failed attempt at bringing, "Change we can believe in." Now our nation is caught up in three wars — not a very peaceful scenario. Not to mention that Libya is going to cost the United States some serious money, at a time when we are headed for insolvency, according to Dallas Federal Reserve Bank President Richard Fisher.

All in all, we're pretty disappointed with Obama's performance to date, especially with respect to his Nobel Peace Prize. We'd love nothing more than to see Obama prove his critics wrong, but unfortunately, that doesn't seem very likely.