Crime Alert: Shooting last night on the College Avenue campus

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) and the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) are investigating a confirmed shooting, which occurred at about 1:50 a.m. on Saturday in the area of 32 College Ave., the night of the University's annual Rutgersfest concert and carnival.

The victim did not suffer a life-threatening injury and is not a University student, University spokesman EJ Miranda said.

The RUPD issued a crime alert via text message and email to the University community early this morning.

The victim said he was involved in an altercation with an unknown male earlier in the evening, according to the alert. The same male later approached him in the area of 32 College Ave. and displayed a handgun. When the victim fled, he was shot in the buttocks.

According to the alert, the shooter, described as a black male wearing a black "puffy" vest, fled toward Somerset Street, and officials transported the victim to a hospital.

Contact the NBPD Investigations Division at (732)-745-5217 or the RUPD at (732)-932-8025 or (732)-932-7211 if you have any information or were related to the incident.

The RUPD said to reduce the chance of being a victim of crime, walk in groups at night, consume alcohol in moderation and remain alert and aware of surrounding circumstances.

Mary Diduch