Middlesex county jury Indicts Dharun Ravi on 15 counts

Dharun Ravi was indicted on 15 counts today after evidence from a criminal investigation was presented to a 23-person grand jury last week, according to the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office.

Ravi, 19, of Plainsboro, N.J., faces two counts of invasion of privacy and two counts of attempted invasion of privacy for using a webcam to view his roommate Tyler Clementi's intimate encounter with another man.

Both are third- and fourth-degree offenses that could carry a sentence of up to five years in prison, Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan said in a statement.

He was also charged with two counts of second-degree bias and two counts of third-degree bias. A second-degree offense could carry about five to 10 years in prison, Kaplan said.

The grand jury also found that Ravi attempted to mislead investigators and witnesses by deleting a Twitter post that alerted others to view his roommate's second encounter and replacing it with a false post.

They also found that Ravi tried to convince witnesses to not testify against him and that he gave investigators information that would mislead the investigation.

For these actions, he faces three counts of tampering with evidence, three counts of hindering his own apprehension and one count of witness tampering.

According to a statement from the Clementi family, the indictment spells out calculated acts against their son by his former roommate.

"If these facts are true, as they appear to be, then it is important for our criminal justice system to establish clear accountability under law," according to the statement. "We are eager to have the process move forward for justice in this case and to reinforce the standards of acceptable conduct in our society."

Charges filed against Molly Wei, 19, of West Windsor Township, were not presented to the grand jury yet. But her pending charges include two counts of invasion of privacy after the incident.

The University has not issued a statement, as this is an ongoing criminal investigation, said University spokesman Greg Trevor.

Kristine Rosette Enerio