Reach compromise, avoid shutdown

As a potential government shutdown looms closer and closer on the horizon, people on both sides of the political spectrum are still at each other's throats regarding the budget. Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., has stated, "If liberals in the Senate are going to play political games and force a government shutdown instead of accepting a modest down payment on fiscal responsibility, then I say shut it down." Meanwhile, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., threw blame at the Republicans, stating, "Every time we agree to meet in the middle, they move where the middle is." From the looks of things, all this blaming the other side is getting us nowhere. The point is, no one seems to be compromising, and with the clock ticking loudly in the background, we think it's about time they all grow up and get down to business.

When word of a possible shutdown began to spread a while back, it seemed like a distant, worst-case scenario deal. Now, it's become all too real of a possibility. Fact is that a shutdown is something we want to avoid, as it could have some negative consequences on everyday life. For example, the last shutdown in 1995, which lasted only six days, cost taxpayers $800 million. It's funny, considering we're staring down the barrel of a shutdown right now because of budget issues. Aside from that, a government shutdown could impact Social Security and Medicare claims, environmental programs, government-issued loans, public safety services and a slew of other aspects of our everyday lives. Is this really something we want to deal with right now? Hardly — things are bad enough as it is.

Also, a government shutdown would severely impact our confidence in our nation's leaders and it should. These are our elected officials squabbling away their days and pointing fingers at one another, practically oblivious to what the people want and need. We already don't have the greatest faith in or respect for many of these officials, regardless of their political affiliation. This would only confirm our fears, and despite our negative opinion of many of them, we want the exact opposite to occur — we want these people to prove us wrong. As a world power, America is on the world stage at all times. Not only would the people of the United States have to face the fact that their leaders have proven themselves to be inept, but leaders the world over would see the debacle and have reason to shake their heads as well.

So, here's our challenge to the President Barack Obama, Speaker of the House of Representatives John Boehner and everyone else involved in this potential failure: Prove us wrong, please. We would like to have a reason to believe in your abilities, but many of you seem intent upon furnishing us with justifications to be eternally disappointed in you all.