RUPD confirms two more shootings

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) confirmed two additional shootings that occurred late last night after the annual Rutgersfest concert.

The first occurred at about midnight by Easton Avenue and Albany Street. Officials believe it may have originated form a previous altercation with the male assailant, resulting in one victim being shot, according to an emailed crime alert.

Officials transported the victim to a hospital with non-life threatening injures.

The second shooting occurred at about 2:45 a.m. near the intersection of Hamilton Street and Easton Avenue. One victim was shot and had non life-threatening injuries.

A third shooting, reported earlier through a crime alert email and text message to the University community, occurred at about 1:50 a.m. in front of 32 College Ave. The victim was shot in the buttocks after attempting to flee from the assailant, who ran away from the scene toward Hamilton Street.

The victim was taken to the hospital with a non life-threatening injury.

The text alert at about 3:30 a.m. was the first the University used since the program's inception to warn students to stay away from the College Avenue campus.

All three victims are not affiliated with the University, and the descriptions of the assailants are limited. No arrests have yet been made.

Rutgersfest is an annual concert at the University, with about 40,000 to 50,000 attendees, many of whom were not affiliated with the University community.

The concert, which featured performers YelaWolf, 30H3! and Pitbull on Busch campus, ended around 7:30 p.m. yesterday. Shuttles took students from Busch campus to the College Avenue campus, where after-parties resulted in riot-like conditions, several arrests, fights and numerous injuries.

The University saw similar conditions last year after Rutgersfest, and the RUPD and New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) this year hired more officers for the event, where students and out-of-town attendees traditionally consume alcohol throughout the day.

RUPD asks anyone with any information to contact the NBPD at (732)-745-5217 or the RUPD at (732)-932-8025.

Mary Diduch