Knights take Big East's best to final minutes on Senior Day

4f1991bfbcfb5.image

Senior defender Mary Moran played her final game with the Scarlet Knights yesterday along with four classmates at Yurcak Field. Rutgers lost, 9-8, in a close game with Georgetown.

Georgetown called a timeout with two minutes remaining and only a one-goal lead yesterday against the Rutgers women's lacrosse team.

This was not supposed to happen to the Hoyas. One-loss teams are not supposed to have difficulty beating teams below .500 in their conference.

The clock expired and the Hoyas (9-7, 7-1) ended their 9-8 victory with a sigh of relief.

But the Scarlet Knights (9-7, 3-5) did not make it easy for them.

During a timeout, Georgetown knew exactly what it was up against, and the music emanating from the speakers could not have been more appropriate: the "Rocky" training montage music.

That is who the Scarlet Knights were — Rocky Balboa.

They were an underdog that had absolutely nothing to lose, and they were going to do everything in their power to make Georgetown's end of the season as miserable as possible.

"I felt no pressure — just ready to play," said senior defender Mary Moran. "It's the last time with my team, so I wanted to make the most of the moment."

The teams re-entered the field out of the timeout and Rutgers had to fight for its life with two minutes left to gain possession and put one in the back of the net.

The Knights played with as much intensity as they had all season. They hugged their defenders and practically dove to steal every pass.

Georgetown knew it would not be able to secure its lead with another goal against the tight defense, so the Hoyas simply worked the ball around.

"We went back to basics, and we did everything that we've been working on for so long. It was perfection," Moran said. "We kept them to a low number, and it was just because everybody worked their butts off and did their part and worked together as a team — all the defenders, all the [midfielders], everyone."

Head coach Laura Brand wanted to see a win, but the effort the Knights put forth was enough to make her happy.

"This last stretch of the season, [Georgetown has] been pretty much dominating their schedule," Brand said. "Regardless of the game coming out 9-8, I think we played a pretty good game."

For five senior players, it was their last game at Yurcak Field and the last game of their careers.

That alone made it increasingly urgent for the Knights to end the season on a high note. Although they did not come out with the win, Brand thought it was a fine way to cap off the season.

"I would've loved to have them go out with a win, but I'm at least happy to have them go out in a solid, competitive game," she said.

For the seniors, it was their last time to make an impact for the team. It was vital for them to play their hardest so the team could end with a bang.

One of the seniors capped off the season with a career game as a result in attack Katie Marino.

Marino ended the game with two goals and three assists, both of which are career highs for the Hillsborough, N.J., native.

"I did want to go out with a bang, but it was all just for the team," Marino said. "Getting goals and assists — that's great — but just putting together a full game with the team was the best part of today."

The Hoyas continue their season as a top seed in the Big East Tournament, but if their opponents play them as hard as the Knights did, the Hoyas might have a tough time advancing.

Josh Bakan