Forward's hat trick lifts Rutgers

Rutgers women's soccer forward Stefanie Scholz found fellow freshman Cassie Inacio on a booming cross a little more than six minutes into the Scarlet Knights' match versus Fordham on Monday, giving them an early lead and Inacio the first goal of her collegiate career.

But little did Inacio or the 215 fans in attendance at Yurcak Field know that another Knights player would steal the show, and in historic fashion.

"Amazing, as always," Inacio said of sophomore forward Jonelle Filigno's hat trick performance in the Knights' (2-1-0) 4-1 victory. "She's so good, anything she gets she finishes, so it was good for her and it was a good goals."

Despite the four-goal, 18-shot effort, head coach Glenn Crooks was not completely ecstatic about his team's performance.

Countless times, Fordham threatened at a moment's notice, and eventually got on the board on a breakaway by Megan Poiesz at the 49:10 mark. The goal made it a 2-1 game and opened the door for the Rams to get back into the contest.

Luckily for Crooks and Co., Filigno halted any of Fordham's momentum.

"We just gave up possessions in areas where we really didn't need to," Crooks said. "They were really unforced errors which lead to their chances. But overall, to put four on the board and to get Jonelle going … was really improve."

Anthony Hernandez