May 25, 2019 | 69° F

Daily review: laurels and darts

Editorial

The Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education (RIBGHE) made a huge step forward for education reform on Monday when they passed a policy that lets undocumented students pay in-state tuition at public colleges. Such a policy sends a laudable message to the public: If America is to be a land of opportunity, those opportunities should be open to as many people as possible. Some may argue that this measure lets undocumented immigrants “off the hook,” but those people should take into account the fact that eligible students must take the necessary steps to apply for legal status if they wish to pay in-state tuition. We give the RIBGHE a laurel for their decision.

****

For a long time, rumors of Gov. Chris Christie’s potential presidential bid have been circulating, even though Christie himself has repeatedly denied those rumors. Such rumors flared again on Monday, when former Gov. Tom Kean told the National Review “the odds [of Christie running] are a lot better now than they were a couple weeks ago.” Yet again, the hope was false: while Christie himself didn’t extinguish the rumors this time, a source very close to him, his brother Todd Christie, did, saying that he was “sure that [Christie is] not going to run.” We dart Kean — and anyone else spreading the rumors — for making such baseless assertions in public. Leave the governor’s decisions to the governor.

By The Daily Targum