RU?experiences solid outing

With more than 30 teams participating in this year’s Fordham Fiasco and Follies at Van Cortlandt Park in Bronx, N.Y., the Rutgers women’s cross country team looked impressive in its season debut.

The Scarlet Knights finished fourth overall with a total of 147 points. The strong start impressed head coach James Robinson, who was happy with the results of Saturday’s meet.

“They did well, they competed well, and I was happy with that,” Robinson said. “We took care of business and attacked the race.”

Six Knights placed in the top 50 competitors, with sophomore Brianna Deming finishing 19th overall, the highest for any Rutgers runner. Her time of 18:49.35 was a personal best for last season’s team MVP.

“My time this year was faster than last year, so I was happy with that,” Deming said. “I finished hard, which was good.”

Deming left an impression on Robinson with her race, as well.

“She started where she left off last year as our team MVP,” Robinson said. “She did great.”

Junior Anjelica Brinkofski was the second Knight to cross the finish line, placing 21st overall with a time of 18:58.28. Junior Victoria Pontecorvo finished with a time of 19:28.20, good for 39th overall and third on the team.

Other runners placing in the race include freshmen Allison Payenski and Felicia O’Donnell, sophomores Ashley Deckert, Rashmi Singh and Darina Dinov and senior Kelly Flannigan.

“As a whole I think we did pretty well,” Deming said. “We came in fourth, but we were up there with some pretty good teams.”

Princeton won the team title with 34 points, followed by Yale, Penn, Rutgers and Sacred Heart. Rounding out the top 10 were 6th-place finisher Quinnipiac, Fordham, NYU, Delaware and Rider.

Yale’s Millie Chapman won the individual 5K race with a time of 18:03.63, with Melissa Salerno placing second with a time of 18:05.87 while running for the New Balance Club. Rounding out the top three was Yale’s Jacque Sahlberg with an effort of 18:10.52.

While the team was happy with its performance, Robinson was most excited about seeing the Knights finally compete for the first time after a solid offseason.

“They had very good positive energy,” Robinson said. “We were missing a couple of ladies, but the ones that did compete did a great job.”

The team looks to build on its success when it travels to Holmdel, N.J., on Saturday to participate in the Monmouth Invitational.