Toxicology results show Parisio as clean during arrest

Former University student William Parisio was indicted Friday morning for the murder of his girlfriend Pamela Schmidt in March.

Parisio, 23, of Cranford, N.J., was also charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, Union County Prosecutor Theodore Romankow said in a statement.

According to the investigation, Parisio struck Schmidt, 22, of Warren, N.J., with a 12-pound dumbbell weight and strangled her.

Schmidt was two months away from graduating from the University with a degree in psychology and had plans to attend the graduate School of Management and Labor Relations at the University before her death. She was issued her diplomas posthumously.

Parisio's mother said in an nj.com article that her son abused the now-illegal synthetic drug bath salts during his time at the University.

But toxicology reports show the substance was not present in the defendant after his arrest, Romankow said.

"Now knowing that there was no bath salts in his system makes it even more horrifying in that he did this fully and knowingly and murdered my daughter in cold blood," said Schmidt's father Werner Schmidt Jr. in an nj.com article. "[Parisio] should pay with the strongest the law will

Amy Rowe